Stem cell transplant 1: week 1: Day 1: arriving at addenbrookes.

Day 1: monday 30th july 18:
0800am I'm sat at home all packed awaiting for a phone call telling us when my bed will be ready on C9 ward. I started getting impatient so I decided to ring addenbrookes myself, they said "make your way here and by the time you get here your bed should be ready". Addenbrookes hospital is a couple of hours away from my home. The ward C9 that I was being admitted too is on the 9th floor so the views are amazing and you can see for miles. 
 C9 ward had only 8 beds on it (3 bed bay, 2 special stem cell rooms and 3 normal side rooms) each room had its own ensuite, mini fridge, tv that free freeview, blue-ray dvd player, hospital bed, day bed for 1 person to stay with you, chair, cupboards etc. Above the hospital bed had multicoloured led lights that you can change to whatever colour you wanted too. When I got there I was shown my room by the nurses and then they left us to unpack and make myself at home (decorate my room with bits and pieces I toke there) 



my room i had was a special stem cell transplant room, it had special vents and air con to keep out the dust and germs and anything else that could make me poorly when my whole immune system is wiped out. It had a double door system so when you opened one door you had to shut the door before opening and closing the 2nd door. The nurses could even alarm the door so they know if you was trying to come out or if anyone was going in. On the ward there is a chill out zone that has a free juke box, free pool table, sofa's, cupboards full of DVDs that you can borrow and take to your room to watch and then return when you finished, tv with xbox and playstation 4 and Nintendo wii attached to it, as well as lots of other bits and pieces like craft bits and pieces and board games etc. 


There was a relatives and visitors room where it's a place for all relatives and visitors a place to refresh themselves and a place for them to make hot drinks etc.  There is a quiet zone with books in it you can borrow and sofas in it, and another quiet zone with bean bags in it. 

Once settled I got started on some new medication. I then met the doctors who would be dealing with me and my transplant who gave me my treatment protocol, then the nurses came in and gave me my blood clotting jab that stops my periods, then the nurses came and changed my 3 lemin hickman line dressing. The nurses tried to bleed my hickman line but it wouldn't bleed for the nurses so they had to put some line cleaner up there and attempted to come back later to try and bleed again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facing my FEARS and PHOBIAS I never KNEW I had:-

Stem cell transplant 1: week 4: recovery part 2:

Diagnosis: